What is the Barcelona Consensus about?
- It proposes an intercultural alternative to the neoliberal globalization created and favouring the “North”.
- It is an answer to the systematic crisis that we are living at present.
- It is an alternative to the Consensus of Washington.
- It is a new social, political and economic agreement to achieve a livable world for everybody.
- It is a call for public action, a commitment to intervention.
What is it proposing?
- A participatory and deliberative democracy
- Environmental sustainability
- A social, equitable and sustainable economy
- A non-speculative financial system
- A society of shared knowledge and democratic communication
- A world beyond war and violence
- A democratic world governance
3 urgent actions:
- To overcome hunger, poor diet and the lack of potable water and drainage on both local and global level
- Tackling the harm caused in poor countries due to “development” and climate change
- Avoid the use of armed intervention and wars, even in the name of “democracy”.
3 ways of implementating the change: Actions for a Common Transformation (ACT!), Transition Circles and Models of Socio-economic innovation.
Who is part of it?
• The association Nova – Social Innovation with the support of more than twenty Catalan and international organisations.
• 150 academics and leaders of social movements from all over the world (with parity of gender and from 70 different countries).
Who is the project intended for?
• For all world citizens who believe in an alternative to this outdated system which has brought us not only an economic crisis but also a political, social cultural and natural one.
• For all the citizens that want to act in their daily life towards overcoming this model in decline and bet on a world habitable for everybody.
• For all the organisations, academics and social movements that want to add their ideas, proposals and actions to the process.
• For all the governments, institutions and companies that want to be involved.
>>> More information about the Barcelona Consensus process